5 Basic things that could slowly kill your relationship
Many people believe the ultimate thing that could kill a relationship is cheating; couples are so conscious of this act they feel it would be difficult to move on with the relationship once a party is guilty of that offence. Oblivious to this, there are many things that could make a couple split and infidelity may never be raised in cases like that. We all know the dangers involved with cheating and the consequences that may follow. The people involved feel betrayed and may not be able to put that behind them for a while. However, some relationships do break even without the people involved being caught in a cheating web. Certain issues could give the same end result cheating would give if the relationship is not effectively managed. Find below some of the other things that could kill your relationship aside from cheating:
1. Lack of courtesy In relationships, people of different backgrounds and doctrines often come together as one. You really do not expect your partner to think like you or act like you; perfection in a relationship is a feat many would consider unattainable. In view of this, there would be misunderstandings, arguments and fights; you should learn to apologize when the fault is yours and let go even when it is not. Using the words thank you, sorry and please will help your relationship a great deal. No one wants to be trampled in a relationship; if you treat your partner as dirt, he or she may be forced to leave.
2. Misplaced priorities This is another thing that could kill a relationship; many people do not know what to do at the right time. In relationships, you should learn to set your priorities right. Some would rather invest their time in pressing phones when they ought to spend quality time with their partners. When your partner starts to feel like he is not so important in your life, the relationship is heading for the rocks.
3. Lack of trust This is totally different from infidelity; when your partner cannot vouch for you in a relationship, then it is bad. You should be able to predict to an extent the things your partner can do and the places he or she would visit. This is the foundation of most relationships, if the foundation is faulty or shaky, the relationship you have built will definitely break.
4. Treating your partner with contempt Fingers are not equal; your partner could be more talented than you are, he or she could be richer or more famous than you. If you work this into your attitude when relating with the other person, it could kill your relationship. Normally, you should complement each other and be a source of strength to one another. But when your partner is a bully who derives pleasure in taunting you with his or her success and achievements, it would kill your relationship before you know it.
5. Immaturity A relationship whereby a party resorts to being childish when problems spring up can never work out. Some people do not know how to handle certain situations and they end up messing it up the more. A partner who starts to call his or her partner all sorts of names when they fight lacks is not a mature person. Name calling is bad for anyone and it would kill that relationship before you know it; ‘Miss know it all’, ‘I too know’ and ‘Mr. perfect’ are names you should never call your partner. 6. Lack of communication While your partner may constantly frustrate your effort when you try to reach out to her, you should never stop talking. The moment there is a break in communication that relationship is as good as over. Talk, talk and keep talking; do not hold back when it is time to relate with your partner. Many relationships have broken as a result of lack of communication.